Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Lesson Review 12/6/2015

This past Sunday, Dec. 6th, we had the opportunity to hear from Sister Brande Juber, Relief Society President.  She gave a lesson on Christ-like attributes: Forgiving, Wise, Humble, Loving, Merciful, Patient, Accepting, Teacher, Healer, All-knowing, Honest, Courageous, Faithful, Gentle, Fair, Generous, Pure and Holy, Thoughtful, Obedient, Tolerant and Understanding.  She had several people share their experiences of people they knew personally that emulated these Christ-like attributes.  It is inspiring and motivating to be around those with these qualities.  When we are around them, we have a desire to be like them, to have these Christ-like qualities.
President George Cannon encouraged us to pray to God to give us these gifts, these Christ-like attributes.  All of us are imperfect and it is our duty to pray for the gift that will make us perfect.  We should not just be content to be baptized and be members of the Church, and to rest there.  President Cannon goes on to say, ” No man ought to say, ‘Oh, I cannot help this; it is my nature.’ He is not justified in it, for the reason that God has promised to give strength to correct these things, and to give gifts that will eradicate them. If a man lack wisdom, it is his duty to ask God for wisdom. The same with everything else.”
Christ-like attributes are gifts from God. They come as you use your agency righteously. Ask your Heavenly Father to bless you with these attributes; you cannot develop them without His help. With a desire to please God, recognize your weaknesses and be willing and anxious to improve.
Ether 12:27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.